Technical Artist – Skin/Rig Specialist
Game Pill combines talent, imagination, and passion to create interactive experiences. We do what we love, so you can love what we do. 😉 ***
We are a passionate team aspiring to make compelling experiences, rich in story, emotion, immersion and meaningful game play. We are seeking a Technical Artist to work alongside our team on unannounced titles.
The ideal candidate will be highly motivated, passionate about gaming, and able to effectively communicate with the team. We strive for team members who have an ability to understand others’ vision, contribute to it, and turn it into reality.
The Technical Artist will help the team primarily with rigging and skinning of 3D assets. The ideal candidate should have a firm understanding of skin weighting, skeleton creation, facial bone rig creation, and importing skeletons into a game engine. The Technical Artist will work closely with stakeholders to ensure technical limitations are respected while maintaining quality.
What You Will Do:
- Work in close-collaboration with Designers and Modelers as a team to rig and skin character, environment, and vehicle 3D assets;
- Understand the game setting and create credible characters and objects that fit within the universe and story, study the creative and artistic documents to understand the characters and world setting;
- Work with animators, programmers, the game designer and the project manager to understand the scope of design intentions, constraints and deadlines
- Work with Motion Capture data if required and be willing to implement it cleanly into a specified game engine.
- Create and integrate characters as dictated by technical constraints. Be open to iteration and exploration on demos or prototypes;
- Work inside a specified game engine to ensure all rigging and skinning is clean and conforms to the technical specifications;
- Contribute to character playability ideas and aesthetic designs;
- Stay up to date on best practices in the video game industry, work to integrate them into the project and share knowledge with inter-project colleagues;
- Carry out all other related rigging/skinning tasks or playtesting requests.
Who We Think Will Be A Great Fit:
- 2 or more years of experience creating skeletons and skinning 3D models
- Preferably at least 1 shipped title
- Basic to advanced knowledge of Mocap pipelines and familiar with current joint retargeting pipelines (or eager to learn them)
- Exceptional communication skills
- Ability to communicate, collaborate, and iterate
- A passion for video games and a moderate level of understanding of different game genres (RPG, FPS, Sports, Esports, etc)
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of 3D Studio Max and/or Maya and comfortable making body and facial rigs within those packages
- Experience with Unity or Unreal Engines
- Ability to learn new software to improve facial or body rigging/skinning techniques or pipelines
- Basic understanding of how game art interacts with gameplay mechanics is a plus
- A basic understanding of casual and console platforms.
- Ability to work efficiently within set timeframes and deadlines
If you feel you are an awesome candidate for this position, please apply by sending your resume, cover letter, references and demo reel to:
Using the form at:
Applying via Linkedin:
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org